Signs of Possible Chinese Drywall Presence
- Residence was built after 2004
- Mild to strong sulphur or “rotten egg” smell in the residence
- Rapid corrosion and blackening of metal in air conditioning coils, plumbing piping and fixtures, wiring, and silver items
- Unexplained respiratory distress of occupants that ceases when they leave the residence
What to Do
- Ask seller if there is Chinese Drywall in residence or signs of presence and document their response
- Advise buyer in writing to have the home inspected and, if necessary, tested for Chinese Drywall and other defects
- Disclose presence of or signs of Chinese Drywall to your broker and all prospective buyers in writing
- Have sellers and buyers sign a Chinese/Defective Drywall Addendum to contract (download contract)
- Document the transaction file regarding all communications with the others and all inspections and testing results
- Provide potential buyer with literature about Chinese Drywall
If you have any questions regarding Chinese Drywall, please call the CRES StressLess Hotline.
We are here for you!